Plain Unleavened Bread / Matzo
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Combine flour and salt.
- Add oil and mix well, like you would biscuits.
- Add warm water and fold in until dough is formed.
- Knead more flour as needed to form a stiff dough.
- Let rest for at least 30 – 60 minutes.
- Form balls of dough (a little bigger than a golf ball) and roll out into circles.
- Cook on griddle with no oil.
- Turn when they begin to form bubbles.
Other Recipes for the Feast of Unleavened Bread
Sesame Wheatmeal Crackers
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Roll very thin on a lightly floured surface.
- Make into desired shapes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Makes 20.
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- Mix chopped nuts and dates.
- Sift flour over and mix well.
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add flour, date and nut mixture.
- Spread into greased 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 -30 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut into squares.
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl cover butter with boiling water.
- Stir liquids into dry mixture and mix.
- Roll out very thin, cut like crackers.
- Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes.
- 3 cup sifted flour
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Blend ingredients.
- Put into 15 x 10 inch ungreased pan.
- Prick dough with fork.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, then at 300 for 25 minutes.
- Cut while warm.
- Top with applesauce.
- Yield 3 dozen.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cup mashed banana pulp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins, opt
- Beat sugar and oil.
- Stir in banana pulp and salt.
- Gradually blend in oats, walnuts, and raisins.
- Drop by teaspoon onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Lemon Cheesecake Squares
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- grated lemon peel
- Beat butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Blend in flour until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture for topping and firmly press remainder into greased 8 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Beat sugar and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, milk, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Beat until smooth and pour over baked crust.
- Sprinkle with reserved topping.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan, then cut into 2 inch squares.
- Yield: 16